Friday, November 9, 2012

Work started on Emir

Started to do some work on the Emir who will command my small Seljuk host.

Blocked out some of the major colours and did some highlighting work. I also did the carpet. Turns out Seljuks in the Xth century were major influences in carpet making. I looked a whole lot of carpets and went ahead and concocted my own. Middle East means business with their carpets, and every colour and pattern in loaded with symbolism. I kept mine simple and floral/tree-of-life with some stars and moons on the border and made sure I used blue, which is a colour heavily identified with the Seljuks.

Sultan also sports a blue silk tunic, the traditional Seljuk hat (the boerk), riding boots and trousers of a pattern I´m still working out (currently stripped as you can see below). His golden goblet has water. I painted him with streaks of grey on his beard and braids. He certainly cannot represent Kilij Arslan - the Sultan was 17 when the 1st Crusade began, but already an accomplished commander. Will have to procure a more action oriented miniature for that (actually Perry´s command pack has Kilij himself, so I´ll just grab that).

This particular one would be an Emir, that has set up a command post directly on the Anatolian step and calmly surveys the battle field as he sips water and is waited on by his servants.

Emir of my Seljuk army

I quite like how its turning out. I will now move on to the other figures that will be in this composition (servants and a banner bearer). Overall look will help me decide on some colour details on the main figure.

I always try to do the "center piece" of a new project first, as it will set the tone for the entire project, even where it comes to colour pallet. I have  a big load of unpainted lead but am in no rush whatsoever - these miniatures are an absolute pleasure to paint. On their way from Perry are another 3 packs of Seljuk horse archers, which will help flesh out a mainly horse archer force supported by an armoured horse archer elite, the ghulam and complemented by some foot militia (town garrison).

Cheers,
Pedro


No comments:

Post a Comment